SHERIFF BRAD HOWELL
Codington County Sheriff Brad Howell is a lifelong resident of South Dakota. He was born and raised in Milbank, South Dakota. Following graduation from Alexandria Technical and Community College, his career in law enforcement began as a police officer with the Milbank Police Department. In 2008, he was hired as a deputy sheriff for Codington County where he was promoted to sergeant in 2010. He was promoted to chief deputy in 2015 and assisted with the management of operations at the Sheriff’s Office. On January 1, 2017, he took office as the Codington County Sheriff. He was elected Sheriff on November 6, 2018, and continues to serve in that capacity.
Brad is very community-oriented and serves on many local boards and organizations. He is currently on the Waverly-South Shore School Board, and a member of the Watertown Rotary Club and the Watertown Lions Club. He participates on the Lake Area Technical Institute Advisory Board and the Northeast Technical High School Board. He has served as a DARE instructor positively impacting the youth in the community.
Brad says, “I am honored to serve the citizens of Codington County as your Sheriff, and I am deeply committed to keeping our communities, families and property safe by providing the highest level of professionalism in law enforcement.” Brad has instituted many new programs and policies at the Sheriff’s Office which benefit the public, while always striving to maintain fiscal responsibility and minimize taxpayer liability. Brad enjoys spending time with his wife, Cheri, and two daughters, Robin and Braden.
It is the mission of the Codington County Sheriff’s Office to
- Treat all persons with respect, fairness and compassion
- Protect life, property and preserve the peace
- Enforce all Federal, State and Local laws
- Conduct diligent criminal investigations and prevent crime
- Provide consistent and humane treatment to those in our care and custody
- Hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards of ethical conduct and strive to be role models for others, serving with courage, honor and integrity
- Create a supportive and professional work environment that recognizes the value and dignity of employees
- Promote community partnerships, striving for cooperation to meet common goals in public safety
Proudly serving Codington County and the communities of Watertown, Kranzburg, Henry, Wallace, Florence, South Shore and Waverly.
The Codington County Sheriff’s Office was established in 1878. The Office is responsible for law enforcement protection to all 700 square miles that make up Codington County, including the communities of Watertown, Kranzburg, Waverly, South Shore, Florence, Wallace, and Henry. The Codington County Regional Detention Center is under the Office of Sheriff and provides inmate care for Codington County as well as the contract counties of Clark, Hamlin, Deuel, and Kingsbury Counties.